Feature Runner Friday: Wendy Ramsey

For this week’s "Feature Runner Friday" we are featuring local road racer Wendy Ramsey! Wendy started running three years ago with daughter Katie Ramsey. 

Her goals for this spring are to complete her second half marathon at our 7th annual Pro Football Hall of Fame Marathon Series in April while bettering her time from last year.

Check out her running journey!

“3 years ago my daughter Katie, 27 years old, gave me a challenge to try to do a 5k with her. Neither of us have ever been runners. I accepted her challenge and we did a 5k. We walked/tried to run and completed it in 45 minutes. It was such an amazing feeling crossing that finish line and knowing we accomplished what we set out to do...  

“That race got us hooked on running. We wanted to improve on our times every race we did. We basically did 5k’s and a few 4 milers. By the next fall I had signed up to do a 10K without my running partner, Katie. She was out of town on business and I honestly hadn’t trained for that many miles but decided to do it anyway. I loved it!!  After talking to Katie about it, we decided to try a half marathon in 2019 and picked the Hall of Fame Half Marathon. We trained together so we ran the race together even though I know Katie could do a lot better without me holding her back...

"After we finished the race I told Katie I would never do it again but here we are signed up again this year; and I am looking forward to it! We are doing the combo and running the 5k this year too because we love the medal. I am grateful that she gave me that challenge 3 years ago. We always start the races together and she eventually leaves me and finishes on her own time. Eventually, we meet back up at the finish line. We have met some amazing people through this journey and I am beyond proud that I get to do it with my daughter and best friend. We always post our races to social media and it isn’t to brag, it's to encourage others that they can do what we are doing at any age. I tell people I meet that they just need to start moving! It doesn’t matter if you are fast or slow. No one will judge you. Just get out there and get moving.”

Keep up the great work, Wendy! We look forward to having you race this spring. 

Get to know the 55 year old from Canton!

5k or Half Marathon - I’ve ran a lot of 5k’s and I enjoy trying to beat my previous time. I’ve only run one half marathon but I enjoy the challenge of it.
Netflix or Disney plus - I don’t have either but I enjoy Disney movies.
Fall or Spring - I enjoy going camping and sitting around a campfire on a cool evening.
Winter or Summer - I like kayaking, riding my bike, swimming, fishing and camping.  I don’t care for doing things out doors in the winter months
Facebook or Instagram - I have both but don’t really use Instagram much.
New Balance or Brooks - My first pair of running shoes was New Balance but my current pair is Brooks and I think I like them the best.
Nike or Adidas - Nike just doesn't fit me right.
Track/Field or Cross Country - I would say cross country.
Basketball or Football - I enjoy watching the Ohio state buckeyes.
Gatorade or Body armor.-I like Gatorade zero but find the flavor better in the body armor lite.
Bengals or Browns - I’m not a die hard fan but I do root for the browns.
Roads or Trails - I enjoy running on the Stark parks trails.
Heavy Weights or Yoga - I don’t really know much about lifting weights so I will stick to yoga. But step aerobics is my favorite exercise.
Coffee or Tea - I prefer sweet iced tea but I try to drink unsweetened iced tea due to being a pre diabetic.
Warm up music? - Any country music. I enjoy most types of music but not hard rock. But country music is my go to.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Feature Runner Friday: Jimi Brantingham

Feature Runner Friday: Ashley Dunbar