Feature Runner Friday: Ashley Dunbar

This week's "Feature Runner Friday"  goes to Ashley Dunbar; who will be competing in our half-marathon race this late April. Born and raised in East Canton, Ashley know resides in Cuyahoga and will be completing her first half-marathon.

Check out how the East Canton native began her running journey.

"I used to think runners were nuts," Dunbar said ,"In high school, I never would have dreamed of running more than a mile for "fun." Once I got into college, I started thinking a little more about trying to run a few 5k's for the heck of it since a lot of my friends were doing them...

"At the time, I worked at a tanning salon and my boss was part of a running group that was training for the Akron Marathon," Dunbar said. "A few of the girls at the salon had decided to join her group to run a few times a week, just for the health aspect of it. One of the girls had asked if I would do it with her, and at first I thought she was crazy, because I've never run over a mile in my life, but eventually I caved and figured I would do it just to get into better shape... 

"The first day we met with the group, they told us we were heading out for a 3 mile loop," Dunbar said. "In my head, I thought 'oh absolutely NOT' and I was so tempted to turn around and leave. Instead, I stayed and figured I would at least walk it. I tried to run as much as I could, but probably walked half to 3/4 of it. Somehow, I managed to stick with it and by the time we were halfway through our training, I realized 'There's no way i'm doing all of this training and getting up at 5am on weekends for nothing'. So I signed up for the full marathon...

"Running that race was the best feeling of accomplishment I've ever had in my life," Dunbar said. "Now that I have run multiple 5k's, 10k's and 15k's, I've decided to train for the Pro Football Hall of Fame half marathon to say I've run them all! I'm so excited to be working with Tina and to push myself to achieve my goals. I can't wait to run across the finish line and hold that awesome medal!"

Get to know the determined runner from Cuyahoga
5k or Half Marathon - 5k
Netflix or HBO - Netflix
Fall or Spring - Fall
Facebook or Instagram - Facebook
New Balance or Brooks - Brooks
Adidas or Nike - Nike
Track and Field or Cross Country - Cross Country
Football or Basketball - Football
Gatorade or Body Armor - Body Armor
Browns or Bengals - Browns
Trails or Roads - Roads
CrossFit or Yoga - Yoga
Coffee or Tea - Coffee
Warm up music? None---I love the silence and the quiet before and during a run!


**If you are interested in sharing your running journey with us, we would love to hear it! Send an email to tina@hofmarathon.com

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Feature Runner Friday: Jimi Brantingham

Feature Runner Friday: Wendy Ramsey