Feature Runner Friday: Dustin Wilson

For this week's "Feature Runner Friday", we are happy to introduce to you local runner Dustin Wilson.

Dustin will be making his half-marathon debut this spring at our 7th annual Pro Football Hall of Fame Marathon Series.

A former collegiate football player, Wilson shared how he has always been an athlete but never a runner and looks forward to completing his first half-marathon with us this April.

"I have always been an athlete but never a runner," Wilson said. "I have also been a big guy my entire life. After playing college football, I got larger. I decided in 2018 that enough was enough. Over a course of 10 months, I lost 152lbs..."

"What helped with the weight loss was getting into running," Wilson said. " After running the HOF 5k last year, I decided I was going to run the HOF half marathon in 2020. Here I am!"

Wilson looks to hit some 5k and 10ks along his training plan for his first half marathon.

Keep working hard, Dustin! We love hearing your progress!

Get to know the former collegiate football player
5k or Half Marathon - This is my first Half Marathon.  I have run a handful of 5K’s.  I honestly never in my life thought that I would be running a half marathon AND be excited for it.

Netflix or Disney Plus - BOTH!!!  They both have so much to offer and it is pretty drastically 
different.  It is great to get to watch some of the older movies that I watched as a kid with my girls

Fall or Spring - Fall all the way.  Its football and hunting season!  I love being able to golf and not be dying of heat exhaustion.  I love being able to enjoy the outdoors a little bit more.  Nothing beats the fall!

Facebook or Instagram - Facebook.  This is where I start to feel old.  I don’t really know how to use Instagram to its fullest.  I have zero clue on all of the new apps!

New Balance or Brooks - This is tough.  Buying shoes for me is an extremely trying task.  I wear size 17 so having a choice is never really an option.  I currently wear sketchers for my running.

Adidas or Nike - I grew up wearing Nike’s for ALL sports.  But again, it was when and where I could find them.

Track and Field or Cross Country - I would say track and field.  I was a 4 year lettermen in high school as a  thrower.  I threw discus, shot and javelin.  Again, never imagine that I would ever consider myself a runner.   Things change!

Football or Basketball -  Football is my bread and butter.  I was a 4 year lettermen in high school and a 3 year lettermen in college.  I won 3 national championships in college and played a lot of football!  In basketball, I was a 2 year lettermen but didn’t play my senior year to focus on football.  I enjoyed it but not as much as football.

Gatorade or Body Armor - Gatorade Zero.  After my weight loss surgery, I try and stay away from sugar as much as possible.  I have enjoyed the Body Armor lite but not as much as Gatorade.

Browns or Steelers -STEELERS!!!!!!  I am from Pennsylvania and have been a die hard Steelers fan all of my life.  I am also a Penn State fan that doesn’t like the Buckeyes too much!  Oops, that won’t win me too many points with the locals!

Trails or Roads (for running) - I have never done a trail run so I will say Roads.  I have had some conversations with some people about some trail races coming up.  That may be my next adventure.

Yoga or Heavy Weights - I grew up having to weight lift for mass.  It is very hard for me to lift weight now because my mentality has been ingrained that I need to lift massive amounts of weight.  It is extremely hard to shift that to high reps low weight.  I am trying though!  College didn’t help me with that mentality.  I went from my senior in high school with a max bench press of 330lbs to my senior in college with a max bench of 7 reps of 365 lbs.

Coffee or Tea -  I have tried coffee twice in my life and could not stand the taste.  I also cant stand the taste of sweet tea.  I will only drink Unsweetened Ice Tea.

Warm up music? - I am either listening to 90’s hip hop or reruns of Rovers Morning Glory while I run.  If you were to look at my favorites playlist on Spotify, you will find everything from oldies to country to pop to new and old school rap.  I enjoy pretty much all genre’s of music.


**If you are interested in sharing your running story/journey with us, send us an email at tina@hofmarathon.com

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Feature Runner Friday: Jimi Brantingham

Feature Runner Friday: Wendy Ramsey

Tuesday Training: Hill Sprints